The Queen's
(Royal West Surrey) Regiment Re-enactment Society


         The Surrey Rifles

  

 




 

 

 

  •  
The Surrey Rifles


The rifle volunteer movement was very popular in Surrey, but our society portrays the 13th Surrey Rifles, who were based in Guildford town centre, and trained at the old Militia Barracks which stood roughly where the shop 'New Look' now stands.


In 1881, following the Childers Reforms, the county rifle volunteer corps were reorganised and amalgamated, the 13th Surrey RVC becoming part of the 4th Surrey Rifle Corps, Further re-organisation occured in 1883, when the 4th Surrey RC became the 2nd Volunteer Battalion of the Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment.



The rifle volunteer movement was very popular in Surrey, but our focus here is with the 13th Surrey Rifles, who became part of the 4th Surrey Rifle Corps in 1881, which then became the 2nd Volunteer Battalion of the Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment in 1883.